The Sterner Stuff team is growing! We’re in need of a part-time web developer at roughly 20 hours/week.
Who Are We
Sterner Stuff is a web development shop based in Eugene, Oregon. We focus on three lines of business:
- Simple, fully-managed WordPress hosting and maintenance for brochure-ware sites
- Custom, enterprise, at-scale WordPress development services
- Custom web applications built in Laravel
Our clients range from local Eugene businesses to national publications handling 3000+ concurrent users at any time. We seek out results-based work: how can we demonstrate a return on investment to our clients and advise them when a project may be a poor investment.
We currently service about 25 clients on an ongoing basis at a variety of levels.
The right candidate should love the modern web, but also value efficiency and reliability. Using the right tool for the job. You’re comfortable utilizing modern web technologies that often make a mobile-first web app a strong alternative to an expensive native phone app.
You shouldn’t be interested in cutting corners. You should be wary of plugins you’ve never used before and interested in properly vetting them before rolling them out to a client’s production website.
Your duties will mostly include building out new features on existing websites. These projects generally range in skill level, from:
- Install and configure WooCommerce out-of-the-box
- Integrate WordPress plugins X and Y (or integrate plugin Y with a third-party service) without depending on yet another tool, like Zapier
- Build out X new feature from scratch on this Laravel site
This is neither a senior position, nor an entry level position. It’s somewhere in between, and your work will be managed accordingly. For projects outside your wheelhouse, you can expect to work with existing staff to review your work and grow your skills.
While the title is web developer, Sterner Stuff is a small shop and our most common feedback from happy clients is that they love having a personal relationship with their web developer. You should be comfortable – perhaps enjoy! – interfacing directly with clients and should be able to manage yourself in large part.
While remote work is acceptable, especially in the current public health landscape, we prefer a local candidate that can stop into the office from time to time. Camaraderie is important around here.
- Basic Git competence
- Comfortable writing object-oriented, properly namespaced PHP, not just dragging-and-dropping WordPress around
- Experienced using WordPress actions and filters to customize plugin and core behavior without forking anything
- Experience creating child themes in WordPress (a good handle on the WordPress template API) and, ideally, building a theme from scratch based on design assets
- Experience integrating with third-party REST APIs
- Ready to embrace the WordPress block editor (Gutenberg) when appropriate rather than pout about it
- Reliance on ACF to create custom blocks is totally okay
- Experience building and maintaining Laravel sites and tools, sticking to established Laravel patterns when possible
- Familiarity with Vue, React, or another modern JS framework. You might have a preference, but you’re not dogmatic
- Basic understanding of various levels of caching on the web
- Server management experience (Laravel Forge handles most of our nitty-gritty)
Tools We Love
These are some tools we commonly use. Familiarity with them will give you a leg up.
- Advanced Custom Fields
- Gravity Forms
- The Events Calendar by Modern Tribe
- Beaver Builder
- Bedrock by Roots
- WP Rocket
- AMP for WordPress
- First party Laravel tools like Socialite, Passport, Spark, Nova, Sanctum, et al.
Pay for this position depends on experience, starting at $20/hr. We’re seeking someone available 20 hours/week. Full-time employment may be available as demand increases. A full-time position would include retirement and healthcare benefits. Retirement benefits may be available to part-time employees.
Please email resume, cover letter, and link to your GitHub profile to [email protected] to apply.